The Langstroth hive is the most commonly used system for beekeeping and has remained largly unchanged for the last 150 years. Commercial beekeepers and most backyard beekeepers use this hive. Bindaree hives are Australian-made from plantation timber, and come fully assembled, wax dipped and painted. The timber frames are handmade with stainless steel wire, brass eyelets and beeswax foundations.
The 8-frame complete package includes:
- Two 8-frame timber boxes, fully assembled, wax dipped and painted, $75 each
- Timber lid, with Colourbond metal cover, $69
- Timber base, cleats and risers, $65
- Handmade timber frames with beeswax foundation (16), $9.50 each
- Metal queen excluder, $23
- Aerofast hive lock, $19
There is also a 10-frame size for Langstroth hives. Let us know if you would prefer this size, and we can make it up for you, or you can construct and paint one yourself.
To populate your new hive, you may also wish to get a nucleus colony, available from about the end of October through December.